Friday, December 01, 2006

whenceforth the sky, distaster


Holy fuck does the weather suck today.

I have lots on my mind, lots to talk about.

Where did I leave you? Oh, a week ago.

Friday we saw Bassnectar. It was good in that womp-womp-womp- wooooooob-wooooooob kinda way. Similar to the dubstep party on Saturday. That was also kinda wohwohwohWMMMMMPH-dingding-wooobwoob wompwomp kinda way. I hope you understand. It was interesting being at an event, featuring a 'new' music that nobody really knows *how* to dance to. Mary Anne Hobbs, the infamous BBC Radio 1 host of The Breezeblock has referred to 2006 as 'the flashpoint' for dubstep; what does that mean for 2007? Blackdown has a clue. Do some reading, it's good for you.

All this thinking about 'new music' has forced some ideas to flood into my head this week...not 'new' ideas about projects or music, but just thoughts. I miss being in school, and feeling my brain being prodded daily to identify with my surroundings, politics and community on a totally different level. I'm glad that suddenly I'm feeling like that again. Let me explain.

I like to read a blog, linked on the right, called Zoilus, written by Globe & Mail contributor Carl Wilson. He was recently mourning the recent death of Ellen Willis, American culture critic, feminist, self-conscious leftist and writer.

Wilson's passion for her work inspired a search for her book "Beginning to See the Light: Sex, Hope, and Rock-and-Roll"(Amazon link). What a profound piece of work, which I'm kind of ashamed has slipped by me, despite 5 years of schooling in and around her subjects. I'm just starting the book, so I haven't fully flushed out my responses to her critiques, but I feel like it could be one of those books that changes your life. How I see the world, my place in it, my political direction...I feel like I'm shifting, somewhat. Anyways, if anyone feels like bantering about her/this, read up, friends.

I also just learned that Murray Bookchin died this past summer.

Bummer. Back in my...headier days, when I was identifying as anarchist (or more specifically, anarcho-syndicalist), I really enjoyed his early work. He later committed more to the idea of "communalism", but he was an environmental visionary, and it's a loss to the academic community nonetheless.

***


I'm still working on my top-20 list. I'll likely post it next week. And a list of the 10 things I've observed about Toronto/nians since I moved here 6 weeks ago.

6 weeks. How time flies.

Dress warm, take care, have a fun weekend.

Oh, sorry. What's that? You're needing some jams to get your weekend started?

Ok fine. Try this one one for size. The almighty Justice, live at "And Did We Mention Our Disco?". Many many many more killer sets can be found...here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home