Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Store Day!

Despite being tied to a desk for the last 5 or so years, I've held a soft spot in my heart for...brace yourselves...

RETAIL.

It's true. Over the years of my personal work history, I've made lattes and sandwiches, sold t-shirts & ugly accessories, worked as a 'travel expert' in a store selling backpacks and travel guides...and now, inexplicably, I find myself working in another store.

I shouldn't say inexplicable. It's rather easy. Six Shooter has a store. It looks like this:



It's a cozy little place where we sell CDs, vinyl, gifty things like jewelry and Six Shooter whisky flasks, purses and...BOOKS. Music books. Lots of them. I love poking through the biographies of people like Woody Guthrie and Nick Cave, or trying to stuff my feet into these custom-painted cowboy boots we sell here. I don't quite know what it is about helping customers that I find the appeal in this type of work. Maybe it's just that it's a nice break, once a week, to ditch my desk (even though I'm still technically at one, in the store, writing this) and listen to music and feel the sunlight as it pours in through the bay window.

We even have a gallery here. Right now there's a show up by Beverly Hawksley.Yep, the very same Hawksley. Well, it's Momma Hawksley. Look! Look!




Nice, no? The gallery is gonna be radtastic in the coming months. In December we're hosting a show called "Wax & Wood", a collection of art ON vinyl, guitars, egg shakers, whatever makes music of one kind or another. In February I get to curate a photo show! WHOAH! STOKED!

I guess yr looking for some kind of update on my life, perhaps? Well, I've been a little under the weather, to be honest. Comme ca:


But I did shake it off long enough to go to see Jamie Lidell last night. SNAX opened...he's AKA Captain Comatose (Kitsune Records, anyone?)...he was interesting. It was like watching karaoke, but live. Well, the kind of karaoke sang by a dude looking like this:


Except the 'fro was way way way bigger.

I sometimes wish I could have megacurly hair like my Dad, or like Leah.

Hers is really nice. She's really nice. I've really been enjoying living with a girlfriend for the first time ever. Sure, like anything it has it's ups and downs, but the ups have been pouring in lately. We're discovering a warm, healthy middle-ground of patience, love, good food, hang outs, coffee and Scrabble. I don't know if YOU know, but we actually met playing Scrabble back at the ye olde Sugarbowl in Edmonton. That first game we played, when I totally whooped her ass, set a funny precedent for a fierce level of competition between us now, whenever we play...so the other night when we cracked the box for the first time in over a month, both of us were feeling a little wary of the others' skills.

I lost. I'm ok with that. Toronto is making me feel at home, and I'm ok with that too. I think it's been the steady stream of good friends making their way towards our new home, seeing what we've made of ourselves. I think they like it. My comrade from E-town, Kent was recently in town. So was Leah's ever-totally-awesome-and-extremely-fashionable-friend Kim...we had a fun weekend of drinking, dancing, drinking, shopping and er...drinking.

Maybe I'm seeing a connection suddenly. I'm ill. I spent the last 5 nights out, rocking out.

hrmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sherlock (Glen)Holmes POSSE REPRAZENT!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

<3
feel better soon kidlets.
thanks for stomping your immune systems to rock the eff out with me. i love you guys.
<3

November 17, 2006 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home