Saturday, October 14, 2006

nous sommes ici

we're here.

well, we've been here for a few days now, but amidst the actual moving part of moving, I haven't had a chance to blog about it yet. The drive was...long. I last left you in Thunder Bay at the tail end of a fantastic vegan thanksgiving meal. Heading further east into Ontario led us to discover many things about this fair province, including but not limited to the complete lack of anything other than "chinese", "canadian" or "italian" food in any town or city under 200,000 people. I've had enough fried rice to last me a lifetime. I put quotes around it because of the place in Sault Ste. Marie we ate at where italian loaf was on the same page as hamburgers and chop suey. gross. In fact, "The Sault" (say it with me, "The Sooo") was gross, but hardly as bleak and apocalyptic as...gasp! SUDBURY.



at least they know how to make a good bowl of soup.

We arrived in Toronto in the middle of rush hour, in a rainstorm. Cars whizzed by ours, red brake lights raising and falling like a VU meter, honking randomly and thoroughly freaking out our cat Reese. Driving in Toronto is...challenging. The streets are kind of narrow, streetcars share lanes with vehicles, and pedestrians walk wherever they want. Don't get me wrong, this is the kind of city I LIKE, and will grow to love. I just ended up feeling a little like a prairie mouse in a big town or something.

I almost had forgotten how deep of an impact this town made on me last time I was here. The impact continues.

Much more stories to come.
Are you keeping well, friends?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So if you are here ? What is your phone number ? where are you at ?

October 15, 2006 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So i guess it helps if i am not anonymous drew.carmichael@gmail.com...

October 15, 2006 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home