Thursday, September 14, 2006

Strange fascination, fascinating me

I still don't know what I was waiting for
And my time was running wild
A million dead-end streets
Every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
So I turned myself to face me
But I've never caught a glimpse
Of how the others must see the faker
I'm much too fast to take that test

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
...

Strange fascination, fascinating me
Changes are taking the pace I'm going through




Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I start to say goodbye to some of you. In the last few days since I announced our going away party (details below), I've received a slew of emails from people who are unable to attend, who have poured out their thoughts and feelings on my departure, and I have to admit, its choked me up a bit. I'll be getting back to people individually, but allow me, for a minute to speak on general terms about this place I've called home for 20 years.

I love Edmonton. I love the people here, our defiant and proud culture, and our insisting that Calgary sucks. There are so many dozens of people here, who over the course of the last 10 years have taken me under their collective wings, nurtured me and taught me to fly, so to speak. Crossing my fingers and taking the leap I'm about to would never have seemed doable without their guidance. I hope they know who they are.

Admitting that I'm glad to be leaving is one of the hardest confessions I've ever had to make. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fleeing here with the hope NEVER to return; but I just feel like my time in this town is done for now. I've helped who I can, I've done what I've done, and I feel good about it. It's time for new challenges, new projects and time for life and love in a new environment. It feels like a test, one I can't study for. Maybe these past years HAVE been the studying. Between 5 years of University, 9 years doing radio at CJSR, 8 years of promoting shows...I think I have enough training for whatever it is that's coming next.

That, and having a partner at my side is making me feel...able to do this. Allow me to gush and wax poetic for a sec - I'm happier than a pig in shit these days. All around me I seem to see people breaking up, cheating on their lovers, lying to their partners, having...trouble. I, on the other hand am blissfully in love, ready to make a massive leap with someone who I seem to fall even deeper in love with every single day. It's almost overwhelming sometimes to think how random it was that we even MET in the first place; I was defiantly single, focused on my own games and ego...but Leah was patient and thoughtful and knew that in time, if it was meant to be, I'd come around. It was, and I did.

Much love, and more emo waxing to come.

ps: party details:
Saturday Sept. 23 @ The Velvet Underground (10030-102st)
The Eli-and-Leah-go-to-Toronto-so-get-the-fuck-outta-here-already party!
9ish. Lots of drink specials, trashy dancing, drunken emotional hugs and more.

Music by...
-DJ Generic (Hipster Twister)
-Greg Saint (Multipurpose, Music First)
-Glenn Alderson (Beatroute/Rock n'Roll Variety Show, Calgary)
-Mr. Rollie Pemberton, esq. (Weapon, Cadence)
-Marquez El Prodan (CKUA, Prodaniukianor)
-Ms. Sheri Barclay (CJSR, "it" girl [harhar])
-DJ Eli Eli Eli (uh, me.)

come say hi, and goodbye...or at least a 'see you soon'.

3 Comments:

Blogger frenchy said...

aww, this was nice to read. even though i'm a tried-and-true edmonton hater, i appreciate your devotion to that city. and for what it's worth, i'm glad for the part of my time spent there that we were friends and stuff.

but more importantly, are you gonna be there in early october? i'm coming for thxgiving weekend and wanna see you & the lady. i can't find your email so this is what it comes down to.

and lastly, i read your piece in Blam Blam today, awesome!! and good choices too. xo, marie-g

September 14, 2006 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm gonna miss you, you stupid motherfucker. but i'll be at the party to cry in public and in person!

September 15, 2006 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bye, bye, Eli! I'll miss ya. But, I'm so going to hit you up once I'm ready to hit the big time.

September 25, 2006 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home