Sunday, July 30, 2006

mind on rewind

When I last left you, I was beaming inside and out about how rad things are. It keeps getting radder.

My trip to Calgary with Leah for the M. Ward show was super fun. Matt and his wife Carrie were exceptionally nice people, easy to work with, fun to dine with, and an awesome sight to see. Leah's roomie Amy opened the show, followed by Matt, who hypnotized the audience, completely.


Leah and I also broke the news to her parents about us skipping town. When she told them she had news, they assumed we were engaged.
Easy tiger, first things first. The move to Toronto is creeping nearer and nearer. Every day I hear about one more cool and exciting thing happening there in the coming weeks, and I'm reminded that it's cool and exciting ALL YEAR LONG. Leaving is already starting to get hard though - my co-workers' gentle ribbing about my departure is getting more and more sentimental and genuine. Friends who I haven't seen in a while, have heard one way or the other, and are coming up to me with bummed-out faces and big hugs. It's nice, but saddening at the same time. I'm not looking forward to not seeing my closest friends for months, maybe years. I am looking forward to NEW friends, seeing my sister more, living in a new city, and learning a TON at my new job. I'm looking forward without forgetting to look back every once and a while and appreciate those who nurtured me and my growing sense of self. Much love, friends.



Call it a bad segue, but the MSTRKRFT show (not pictured above) was a stunner. Juan Maclean played the sickest in deep Chicago vocal house, NY gay club anthems, bangin' Detroit techno and more. The deadly duo of Keeler&Al-P then stepped up to keep the joint SHAKING IT for almost 3 hours - big ups to those guys, who were ALSO nice and easy to work with.

The night before I played host to your favorite brazillian faith healer and mine, Mr. Fritz Tha Cat, 1/2 of OK Cobra...I got him on a show with locals 30 Nights of Violence, and a band from Vancougar called 1000 Year Plan. Look at these guys:

Amazing. Imagine the Melvins being PWND by the Locust and Yes. FAST prog metal with humor, mathy drums and tempos, heavy heavy heavy vocals. I'm totally crushed out.







Enough for now. Watch this. Dizzee rules.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the drummer from 1000 year plan freaks me out. he just hits so friggin' hard. but i do like watching him mimic the drummer from textbook tragedy when they're rippin' through their set.

-eric

August 03, 2006 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home