Friday, December 22, 2006

holla/daze

I have been away from Alberta for 75 days, today.



What feels like no time at all has in fact been almost 11 weeks - starting at a point where I wouldn't have thought that the holidays were just around the corner. This has always been a bit of an odd time of year for me; being Jewish always kind of complicates things, having to explain over and over that I don't celebrate Christmas, but rather Hannukah, and furthermore, I prefer to celebrate THE HOLIDAYS, which is what this is, no?

This need to explain has led to a series of funny conversations, one of which went like this:

Context: Leah's staff xmas party. Not many people knew that she's Jewish too.


Wife of Leah's co-worker: "So, I heard you say that you don't celebrate Christmas...what's your ethnic background?"

Me: "Um, Polish? Scottish?"

Leah, better understanding what she means: "Oh, we're Jewish."

Wife: "OH, YOU'RE JEWISH?! WOW! Oh, WOW! How..how...INTERESTING. So, you believe in Jesus though still, right?"

Leah: "Um, not in the Christian sense, no."

Me: "Most Jews think he DID exist, we just don't believe he was the son of God."

Wife: "Oh...so if you don't believe in Jesus, who's your God?"

Me & Leah: "Uhm...God?"

----
Tonight I leave this bustling megalopolis for a slice of cozy rural life in Canmore (pictured above), where my parents have a house. I'm soooo excited. Mostly to spend some quality fam time, but also to breathe Alberta air again, to feel the crunch of snow under my feet. To see friends, who are driving all the way down for a visit. To drink and be merry. For years I resented all the cheer and hyperconsumerist mish-mash that seemed inseperable from this 'season', but I realize now in my old(er) age (cough*cough) that I was mostly just bitter about not feeling INCLUDED in the focus of it all...but now I just think, "meh, who cares?" - it's everyone's season.

I'm happier just thinking that everyone else around me is enjoying their own lives and families and presents and meals. (Which, by my own admission is totally fucking Bourgeoisie of me to celebrate. Ick.)

The point I'm not quite making is that...if you have reason to celebrate, perhaps consider those that don't, or can't by reasons out of their control.
Think about it, Edmonton.
Don't forget the Children.
Hey, Canada. Clicky clicky.

Do the right thing.

If you want something more personal...a hero of mine, J. Robbins of the bands Jawbox, Channels and Burning Airlines is having problems of his own, and could use your help. This is where my holiday donation bucks are going. To this lil'guy:

Dag. So cute.

No matter who you are and where you live - take care of you and yours this holiday season, and throughout the year to come. I likely won't blog again until 2007, so have a SAFE and HAPPY next couple o'weeks. I'll be back after travels east and west, to moutains and Montreal and back to see Diplo on NYE. Stoked? Yes, I sure am, thanks for asking.

Peace, friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger bingofuel said...

Eli,

Glad to see you found my bloggy-blog. And all the best to you and Leah this holiday season, regardless of how you plan to celebrate. I'm in Calgary right now with the 'rents, looking west, thinking of you and yours.

Cheers!

December 24, 2006 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home