Friday, April 07, 2006

socio/logic

Hi!
sorry if my sad mood this week spooked y'alls. I'm just fine.

Last night was fun. I worked day and night at the Metric show @ Shaw that we were putting on. I don't wanna talk about work though.


photo by Ira Lee Anderson

My inner sociologist was freaking the fuck out last night to see this new generation of music fan/concert goer...it's fascinating to me to consider the implications of the new musical revolution. Where a 15-year old kid doesn't remember ever owning a casette, or can't imagine what the world was like without the internet. These are kids who listen to Sonic, exclusively - a radio station forming a mould for others to follow it. These are kids growing up without a reliance on the regurgitations of the major labels, but embracing the entire concept of "indie" as MEANING something, as in, NOT corporate, NOT overexposed pop-tarts, but musicians with integrity, selling a product (let's not forget, this IS capitalism) which is packaged in an incredibly positive light...that of togetherness, rebellion and a true sense of INDEPENDENCE

Being at CMW in Toronto taught me that the tide is turning towards an embrace of these notions - and the industry is scared. Their old forumlas are melting down. Their 'demographics' are failing them. Where they could expect to succeed, they are failing...

At the same time, as I walked up the stairs to flyer the lineup I observed several things...I don't want to overblow the impact of these new bands and radio stations - teenagers ARE teenagers - they take what they can get. These are kids with the same makeup and tight jeans and slowly excreting sexuality (not to mention zits, bad hair and awkward senses of self)...but it's in the argyl sweaters and skinny ties and nice shoes and hip hair. The dirty capitalist in me sees these kids as my new market - those to tap, those to sell to, those to train to BUY BUY BUY, as long as it's from me.

is that wrong? I'm back to having trouble reconciling the fun, progressive parts of my work with the cold(cash) reality of it all.

Either way, I'm taking a 4-day week to leave for the mountains today. I need the clean air. I need to see some family, and meet Leah's parents. I'm excited and nervous. I hope my jewness can live up to jewdad's standards.

love to love you.
eli

2 Comments:

Blogger frenchy said...

but dude, sometimes overexposed pop-tarts make really fun music to dance to...

anyway, have fun in the mountains with the lady. good luck with the folks! xo to you both.

April 07, 2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger Cibbuano said...

Is your jewness enough? Can it ever be enough?

April 10, 2006 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home