Sunday, January 29, 2006

yes, I recognize the irony.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Heavy metal.

it's not just a movie.
it's not just a genre.


it IS however:

-a set of stances where your guitar becomes an extension of your dick.
-an array of hair whips, head bangs and raised fists.
-a veritable potpourri of screeches, yelps, choruses sang above C.
-attitude. poses. gestures indicating manhood and (false) confidence.
-a threat to you. they want it to be, anyways.

the truth is, I've worked more metal shows in the last year than any other genre; and in the end, they are ALL the same. it runs like this:

they roll in late to the venue. they bitch about having to load stuff in themselves. before they unpack anything, they start to drink. they take forever to setup. their soundcheck is meticulous and painfully slow. they eat all their food. they smoke dope in the dressing room. they get hungry and demand pizza. I acquiesce, because I'm a total pushover in the face of agressive assholes. they play to a half-empty room and look to me like I'm responsible for a lack of ads or whatever, never once considering that perhaps THEY HAVE NO FANS HERE.

when the victory lounge used to have metal fridays, I'd often have to work upstairs in the starlite, so I'd see all the locals and their ways and fans and friends and fights. it's exactly the same.

ugh. I'm pessimistic for no good reason. This show tonight bugged me. These guys are just so fucking gruff.

Wyclef said it best: Too many MCs, not enough mics.

2 Comments:

Blogger Derelict said...

Haha. I suppose that's par for the course. Though, I'm not sure why anyone would choose a style of "rocking out" where you've got to be bitchy all the time.

February 01, 2006 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yer an MC.

February 05, 2006 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home