Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Top 10 x 2

Agony. The annual top 10 is fucking painful. HOW does one choose? HOW does one remember? I'm overwhelmed. Here's weeks (yes weeks) of sleepless debates in my own head and obsessive listening and re-listening. I've genre-d this out, otherwise it would be impossible. Please comment with your own top 10 or tell me to shut it. Whatevs.


Artist : Album : Label

Pop/Rock/Indie/Whatever:


10. Scout Niblett : Kidnapped by Neptune : Beggars' Banquet/Too Pure


Sounding like Cat Power's bitchy, alcoholic older sister (the one with the punkrock fake English accent), Niblett warmed my heart while she rocked my ears with the best "shoop shoop"s this side of Sharon Jones. Albini is on the decks, and you can feel (and hear) his touch. Besides, "Fuck Treasure Island" is SUCH a good name for a song!


9. More Dogs : Never let them catch you crying : Monitor


Monitor Records can do no wrong. This album is, top-to-bottom, amazing. I think they must have something in the water in Rhode Island, because some insane shit comes out of there. Including this stunning instrumental, erratic, convoluted percussive mess of a pop album. Its uplifting, clever, whimsical and hooky. What the fuck else do you want?


8. Minotaur Shock : Maritime : 4AD


This might be too indiepoptronic to be on the list, but perhaps not electronic enough to be on the other list. Either way, this disc charmed the pants off me (yep, I'm pantsless.) in ways I didn't think possible. Every song is so fun, so full of life and organic energy that I can't find one thing wrong with any of them. "Muesli" = best use of clarinets, ever.


7. Architecture in Helsinki : In Case We Die : Bar/None


This record is so cute it makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time I hear it. I can sit back and imagine 8 people standing in a room together, each with their little parts to contribute, all smiling HUGE smiles at each other, all thinking, "man, we're the fucking shit! The world will love us!" Oh, we do. Australia hasn't sounded this good since INXS.

6. Sufjan Stevens : Illinoise : Asthmatic Kitty


"What? Sufjan isn't even in your top 5?" Yep that's right, hipster bitches. He's number 6. You know why? Cause he isn't the fucking messiah, he's just a dude with cheerleaders for a band, and a sick record to boot. Enough with the bukkake, he doesn't need it.


5. Messer Chups : Crazy Price : Ipecac


Does Russia even HAVE surfing? Whatever. It's the classic story: Russian band meets German programmers, they go on vacation to "The Dick Dale Bible School of Mashing Up Surf with Breakbeats and Absurdly Fat Basslines" and graduate with flying colors. It happens...never. Except here, now, on this crazy fucking album from some psycho Russian dudes with weird album art and even weirder samples. I mean, who samples Squirrel Nut Zippers?! WHO, I ask you?! Messer Chups, that's who.


4. Deerhoof : The Runners Four : 5RC/Kill Rock Stars


How did Deerhoof EVER escape my attention until this album? And why do I discover even BETTER albums, that are OLDER than this?! Who are they to be so alternately cute-then-abrasive-back-to-cute?! Broken beats, fuzzbox guitar, falsetto harmonies, funny lyrics and amazing time signatures. It's like bonerville, population: me. This record makes me shit my shit, as Junbar would say. Viva Deerhoof!


3. Bloc Party : Silent Alarm : Vice/Dim Mak


Shut up already, cynics. This album could fly if it was a superhero, but it wouldn't save yr skeptica ass, cause you can't help but deny that every hook, line and sinker on this record RULES. Yr tappin' your toes, aren't you? Yr remembering every word! SING ALONG NOW, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO. Forget it, Bloc Party are going to curbstomp the doubters to death, cause that's the kind of superheroes they are. Bad motherfucker superheroes.


2. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah : S/T : Independent


I tried my VERY hardest not to fall in love with this record. RESIST THE HYPE, I told myself. Then I heard it one too many times and I was singing, tapping, asking who it was and being frustrated that I had been sucked into the vacuum of awesome, and CYHSY were to blame. Not only did they sell a brazillon copies of the record WITHOUT a label, but they did it BY THEMSELVES. How rad is that?! The naysayers must have forgotten what it means to WRITE GOOD MUSIC, because that's what this record is. Good fucking music. I clap, I say yeah, I clap again. I say yeah again. Number 2. Brilliant.


1.Tom Vek : We Have Sound : Startime International


How can the best record of the year be so fucking rad at everything? Whether it's a garage rock hit, a sensitive songwriters' best work, a breakbeat nerds' wet dream, Tom Vek does it all. The sheer diversity of the album is enough to draw you in repeatedly, as I find myself STILL singing along with it hours after it's finished. A near-flawless album, with amazing production, wicked vocal work and a sound which feels exciting again. The best part? He's a KID...which means there is YEARS more insane music to come out of them fingers.



Electronic/Jazz/Whatevz:

AND honorable mentions...of all genres.

Artist : Album : Label


10. Dangerdoom : s/t : Epitaph


Any record that asks "why did you buy this album?" right off the bat is awesome. it then goes on to insult you, rock you, make you bounce, smile and laugh. Doom rules. Dangermouse rules. How could this project go wrong?


9. Richie Hawtin : Transistions : Mnus


Deep. Dark. Hard. Funky. VILLALOBOS REMIXES. Epic. Sexy. Essential Hawtin, and a genuine evolution in his trademark minimal techno sound. This is electronic music that thinks BEYOND convention, beyond the tools at his fingertips...it's inspired, even.


8. Audion : Suckfish : Spectral


Perhaps Detroit has always known that techno is the perfect soundtrack to the perfect fuck...but did they know what the SOUND of someone producing techno FOR fucking? they do now. This record BLEEDS sex - its hard, makes you sweaty, gets you all hot n' bothered...yum.


7. Hot Chip : Coming On Strong : DFA/Astralwerks


I heard a new genre name in reference to Hot Chip...which I find very accurate: Slow Beat. It's not downtempo (mostly cuz it's not based in hiphop), it's not techno or house...it's slow beat. Groovy, warm basslines roll under hillarious lyrics about bling, beaches, rides, Prince and Stevie Wonder's blindness...vote Hot Chip in '06!


6. Hanne Hukkelberg : Little Things : Leaf


Move over Bjork; Beth Gibbons, Orton - get out. A new queen of blissed-out soulful, jazzy poptronic is here, and her name is Hanne. This record has taken me MONTHS to peel back all the layers of sounds, clicks, pops and whistles, and even now it still surprises me that this disc didn't make more of a splash here. It's the best thing I've heard on Leaf since Icarus...and like her labelmates, Hukkelberg constantly pushes the envelope of NEW sounds, NEW rhythms and music that takes BOLD steps forward...that IS the point, no?


5: Colder : Heat : Output


The further I get down this list, the more I realize that what defines a good electronic record is some element of SEX - whether its funky, ass-shaking basslines...dark drum rumbles or deep, hot-voiced singing...its gotta be there. Thank GOD Colder gets it all right, all the time. I vote 'Downtown' to be one of the hottest songs ever written, and I have yet to drop it to a dancefloor that didn't get right nasty when they heard it. that's right, NASTY.


4. The Juan Maclean : Less than Human : DFA/Astralwerks


I could go on and on and on about how awesome this album is - about its live drums, about the awesomeawesome Nancy Wang on vocals, about the clear-as-glass production, about the sheer DEPTH of some of the basslines...oh wait, I just did. This is a classic-sounding DFA release without sounding recycled...a disc full of little tributes without sounding 'retro' or old...it's a true gem is what it is. Get it if you don't have it. You can thank me later.


3. MIA : Arular : X_L Recordings


Sometime last June I walked into Blackbyrd Records after someone had told me, "run, don't walk, and buy the new MIA, and dont ask any questions, just fucking GET IT!!"...so I did just that, but I made Chris put it on the big stereo there...I was stunned. As a fan of cheesy 90's UK Garage, rap, ethnic beats and grime, this record combined everything I loved about dancing, uh..sex, hiphop, gettin dirty on the dancefloor, etc, into one HELL of a record. Big things are coming for this lady - watch the fuck out.

2. Four Tet : Everything Ecstatic : Domino


OK first, to all you haters: Fuck Off. Four Tet is a genius, and this IS his best record yet, so eat it. You say he's messy? I like messy. You say it's too rough to sound good? I love rough-sounding records that are SUPPOSED to sound rough. You think the basslines suck? What the fuck is wrong with you?! (yes, this is based on a real conversation about this album with some clueless fop.) This is a near-perfect record...perfectly ordered, paced and delivered, the mightymighty Kieran Hebden has dropped the one of the best bombs of the year...fully shedding his (unfortunate) 'folktronic' tag, this record gets right back to the hiphop roots he built himself upon, but takes many cues from free jazz, funk and casiotonegasms...hot. hot. hot. I love it.

1. LCD Soundsystem : s/t : DFA


Why is this record number one? I dunno, why do bears attack people? Because they're born that way...like this record was born of awesomeness. ok, that's a horrible analogy...what I mean to say is that considering the pedigree of genius behind it, LCD Soundsystem simply made 2005 that much more enjoyable. They were one of the best live acts I saw this year, put out the best albums of the year, and the soulwax shibuya remix of "daft punk..." is seriously THE FUCKING A-BOMB...a deserving record for all the hype its got so far...yay LCD!

Honorable Mentions:

-The Last Deal : s/t : Roast Rec's
-Diplo : Fabric 24 : Fabric
-Stereolab : Kyberneticka Babicka EP : Too Pure
-Shout Out Out Out Out : NCMUTWS 12" : NRMLS WLCM
-The Locust : Safety Second, Body Last : Ipecac
-Grlz : Compilation : Crippled Dick Hot Wax
-DFA Holiday Mix : Compilation: DFA
-Daedelus : Exquisite Corpse : Mush

FAN-FUCKIN-TASTIC!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Derelict said...

Wha? Franz Ferdinand isn't listed?

No Blackalicious? Kanye West? Granted, it was a slow year for hip-hop.

Still, forgetting Franz Ferdinand is unforgivable.

December 29, 2005 6:21 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

the new blackalicious is OK at best, same with Kanye. College Dropout made my list LAST year...but this one was overdone.

the new FF is good, but I didnt give it many *repeated* listens, which is kinda my hook - if I can't stop listening, it's gold.

December 30, 2005 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home