Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Another week, another 12 grande americanos.

I haven't much to say this past week. Work is...work.
It's hot out, but I wouldn't know, as I have no windows anymore, and an AC vent above me blowing sub-freezing temps on me all.fucking.day. I guess I could always do the right thing and off myself. Just kidding.

And then, there is Daily Dancer. This guy has made my week, if not my month. I discovered him on the day he did a video for "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard. When I was in 5th grade, James and I used to jump on his bed in our matching Batman t-shirts, belting that song at the top of our lungs.

Being a kid was fun. I remember that same year my friend Matt and I entertained ourselves for hours, nay, weeks...playing inside, on-top-of and around a gigantic cardboard tube used for making concrete pillars. We'd emerge all sweaty, dusty and giggling over having no stress, no jobs, no worries.

How things change.

I've been struck by the magnitude of these changes recently as I have been becoming closer with an old friend again, a girl I knew in elementary school. She was 2 years behind me; Helen must be...23 or 24 now, and as much as this makes me feel old to say, it's so nice to have seen her grow up into a mature & accomplished adult. You can experience the radness yourself on her blog.

On the same note, the aforementioned James and I met in 3rd grade, which makes him pretty much one of my three oldest friends...I don't know if it qualifies as serendipity, but at the same time as I went to elementary with him, I lived in an apartment one floor above the aforementioned Matt (yes, a word so nice I used it twice), the 2nd of my oldest mates. I left that school and neighborhood just before grade 6, and lost touch with both of them until high school...J&M then MET in junior high, became BEST friends, and now both play in what is likely my favorite local band of all time, The Last Deal. Both are stellar fuckin' dudes.

The third of my oldest bros is Leon. I moved in across the street from him in that summer after 5th grade, and we've been friends since. He's a good shit, in the Irish sense of the term. All my stories about Leon may or may not involve: ridiculously packed house parties where he insists on the biggest entrance with a posse of a dozen; bike races through active intersections; unicorns; summers on blackdog patio.

The point is that I'm feeling...older. Like I'm finding my way in life, in love, and in friends that keep me conscious of where I've come from, and help me keep a grounded approach to where I'm headed. I turn 26 in 8 weeks. Is that old?

I've leave you with these:
Something to read.
Something to listen to.
Something to look at for a loooong time.

p.s: I'm DJing this thursday on the wooftop. Yep, that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

Helen really is the radness. I'm so glad that you got back in touch with her 'cause it's meant that I've gotten to know her.

May 17, 2006 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home