Saturday, February 25, 2006

cold hands, hot bodies.

Another day of the same- cafes, internetting, shopping, art stores– I found an incredible little bookstore/cd shop called Cheap Thrills that randomly had books that I haven’t read (many that I hadn’t ever SEEN) by some of my favorite authors– Vonnegut, Camus, Miller, Bukowski – I ended up spending a little too much money. More parent hanging, more walking aimlessly. Had nice Indian food for dinner at this place run by Scottish Sikhs – they kept calling me 'chap' and ‘laddy'…Rae and I went back to her place to meet her roomies before the night out.

We got a bus down to St. Catherines and went to Foufounes Electronique (The Electric Asshole), this super-bar with 3 floors and a bazillion 19-year olds with their 17-year old best friends and their fake IDs. Sam got us past the 2-hour lineup but we managed to lose some of the peeps we came with, so after just one beer, I and Benji (another Edmonton ex-pat) and I took off in search of Liv at one bar, and other people at another – this wee spot called Barfly. A couple of notes on both: Liv was at a place called Korova – a pretty standard indie/rock/bar with good tunes (including a very exciting discovery in the way of Tim Fite. Awesomes.)…but as soon as I sat down I looked over and made eye contact with this girl who I thought I recognized, because the name ‘Barbara’ instantly came to mind, from my elementary school.... It think it WAS her, but for some dumb reason I couldn’t bring myself to ask. I even told Liv that I’d “never forgive myself” if I didn't…I guess I just won’t. I left Korova for Barfly, where this hot hot jazz septet was just getting into their second set of the night. I like watching interplay between musicians, especially jazz players – they have such an exact sense of rhythm where they can float apart and come back together seamlessly and effortlessly –it’s a unique ability among other genres – I’ve seen noise bands try to be jazzy and jazz bands try to be noisy, and the former often fails.

I'm writng this offline from the back of the car on route to Ottawa – and we just crossed into Ontario – it’s the first time I’ve been here since 1995…weird.

--------
Back in Montreal now after a ROUSING Friday night at the farm, let me tell you.

Seeing that family was nice though...I stayed up way too late watching TV though, and now I'm sitting in Cafe Republique where my newfound friend Marina attacked me last time - I like it here in Outrement; it connects me to a part of my jewdom that I don't often feel anywhere else.

I dont have much else to tell you. It's blizzarding and fucking freeeeezing here, so I think we're camping in tonight, or perhaps escaping for some Shisha. mmm...Shisha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home