Thursday, June 28, 2007

melting

Somehow it crept up on me. Like I wasn't paying attention and then BOOM, suddenly it's moving day. Again my life is in boxes around me. Again it's hot out and I'm combing through a lifetime of stuff, organizing, choosing, throwing away. Catharsis is heavy.

On Saturday, Leah, myself, a handful of boys and two hired guns have the astute privilege of bringing said two boxed-up lives up, up, up five stories, into our elevator-less new pad.


It's gonna suck, to be sure...but it's a means to an end. 2007 is already the most cataclysmic year of my life so far, so why not dive headlong into more change? I'm good at it, I think. I take it head on. I'll just be glad to be downtown, in the HEART of the smog, rather than having to ride through the layers of it as I ride downhill from my current abode to work. (insert eyeroll)

If only it would cool off a little. As a result of the heat, I go through about three shirts a day, all completely sweat through; I drank about 3 liters of water today, and my cat is clinging to the bathroom floor, because the lino is SLIGHTLY cooler than the rest of the house. We have no blankets, no air conditioning, no comprehension of what is happening to our bodies as we sweat from every pore.

Have I mentioned that it's hot out? Yeah. My KINGDOM for a sprinkler.


Like the feeling of running through upward streams of ice cold water, I having one of those episodes of musical intake that is making me leap and scream (inside) about NEW, GROUNDBREAKING music.


Like Bumps, a dreamteam of a project brought to you by the Dan and Johns of Tortoise, Herndon and McEntire. It's like they took everything that can be funky and aggro about hiphop breaks and drag it over a razor-wire fence. Imagine the hard snare shuffle on Seneca, (my favorite song from Tortoise's 2001 album Standards,) reconsidered in colorful percussive tones, and over a whole album. A stunning concept, I know. A brilliant delivery, I wasn't confident of. I am now.

Might I also steer you towards Shocking Pinks, who are the newest signing to DFA, and evoke Television and Suicide's darkest moments. It's moody and catchy and I can't wait to hear the full-length.

Then again, I'm really happy with what's out now. What can I say? I love pop music. Especially the power kind.

Have a good weekend, friends. I'll leave you with a funnyish photo...4 AM, west Toronto, 2 Saturdays ago:


Can you spell drukn?

1 Comments:

Blogger andriko.l said...

Nice Photo of you drunk with some Hobos.

Sorry to bug, but do you think that you could change the link you have for my blog to www.virtualsauna.blogspot.com

i sorta moved, well okay, I lost the plot on the last blog, not I'm fired up again and am using it as a place for the soc grad students at Lu plus a place for me to riff on all things virtual and not.

Love andriko.

PS. Much love for the blackberry spillage.

July 15, 2007 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home